Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sumerian Scuptures "Who's Image are you Worshiping..where is your Altar?"

I have been dealing Image.
What is my true image and where does my image of my self come from???
Photo in Mirror with Doll (image)
As I have been going through this journey of my true identity and how I walk in it interesting things come up recently. 

Our local museum has a fascinating show Called "Breath of Heaven Breath of Earth"

When I go to Europe or NY or large museums I usually only take a brief look at the Ancient Middle East Sculptures etc. I don't have time to really get into them. Though I find them interesting now that I make dolls. 

But now with a show in my own town I have time to understand and appreciate this art. The museum show and the lectures give me an opportunity to not only reflect on the Beauty of the Art but also to reflect on the times and the Biblical story's of Abraham and Ur and the different gods that are mentioned in the Scriptures that are part of my studies and faith daily. 
It has brought to life the places and the people. I can see sculptures  like the votive sculptures that represent the looks and the hopes and dreams of an individual of that time. 




Wow…right there..real people of Ur and what they believed and looked to for their life and truth. 



These where the first people to write. So we know things about their understanding beyond  what can be see in the artist images. 
My favorite piece in the show
These were my first impressions when I went to the show. 
Isn't it beautiful!!!

But last night I had more insights from the lecture by Dr. Jean Evans

Gifts for the Gods: Sumerian Art from the Temple

Dr. Jean Evans, Research Associate at the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago and author of The Lives of Sumerian Sculpture: An Archaeology of the Early Dynastic Temple, will present an illustrated lecture on Sumerian mythology and religious beliefs as reflected in the votive sculptures, plaques, and other items found in 
Sumerian temples.


Dr. Jean talked about how these people made images Votive Sculptures to represent them selves on a deeper level. They would give gifts and earn the right to put their image in the temple of their gods. 

This little image of themselves could do worship while they weren't there. Their image like a votive candle would be praying and doing things before their gods all day long to insure they where protected and favored etc. The person who gave the idol that represented them self had all their hopes in this little image to have their prayers answered.

But then weirdly enough their own image in the temple was in the outer courts of the temple. Only the high priests could go into the temple alter and worship and do rituals before the main god of the temple. 

So their Votive image of themselves had access through the priests to worship the god.....so through the Priests they got to worship and do rituals. 

But other people who didn't have the money or access to have a  votive image in the temple where left out. The only way they could worship their god was to worship the at the little idol Votive image of other people who did have access. So this Votive image was left in the outer courts. And the poor people could worship their gods second hand ..not through the priests through their votive image. But only 3rd hand by worshiping at the Votive image in the outer court! 
 (they did their rituals right there to that idol)

At first I was really confused…you mean people where worshiping the idol of the person who was worshiping the big god idol???

Yep!! …..Wew...think of that........

I like the idea of having direct access directly to God and He made a way to do that now.....to see your true self and image in the direct face of your Creator... 

Hebrews 4:14-16


King James Version (KJV)
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

For more of my thoughts on these Images..I just created a new Blog. 
It is Called Deirdra Doan "In His Image". Click here to see more on this post. It is more about my journey into my true self and the journey of getting there. It has a point of view and if you are interested please go there. This new blog comes in Oct. 6 years later from my first post here...This Deirdra Doan blog has been such a blessing to me in this journey...it is. Happy Blog anniversary!!


1 comment:

Bethany Hissong said...

Dierdra, I'm so glad you found my blog! I've not been posting as much as I used to, so I'm always surprised when someone new comes to visit. You are more right than you know about having things in common-- two of my favorite painters are Klimt and Bonnard! And I have a degree in art education. I noticed other things too. And at first I thought maybe you were related to my daughter's best friend because her last name is the same as yours (but you're not). I have a love of dolls and handmade art toys. This post was very interesting. When I get some time I want to go back and read more! Have a great day today! ;)